Scrutinizing my reflection and contemplating my upcoming birthday I realized that I not only look my age, but I also look something like my maternal grandmother when she was my age. I decided to accentuate the similarities with bright red lipstick like Grandma (and all the hollywood starlets of her day) used to wear. The change was dramatic. I was mildly uncomfortable, but genuinely emboldened. Red lipstick, it turns out, makes me feel cheerful.
Mermaid noticed the difference right away and was mesmerized by the presence of lips on my face. She focused trying to imitate all the shapes they made as I spoke or sang to her. Could this be a break through in her speech development? Maybe. I'll be wearing red lipstick more often... for both of us. Thank you, Grandma!
7 comments:
i have always struggled with lip stick. i feel like such a fraud when i wear it. however, that doesn't stop me from trying every single color at the clinique counter about once a year just to make sure i still don't like it. i really want it to work for me, i don't know why. maybe because i want to be one of those "classy" ladies who can wear it so well. maybe because i'm a secret hollywood starlet wanna be? i don't know, but i LOVE the idea of it aiding mermaid's speech therapy, that is the best use for it i've heard yet! :)
and thank you for your darling comment tonight. i love you too.
p.s. i do love me some lip gloss though. :)
You don't look a day over thirty!! Way to pull off the red lipstick, your husband always did call you smoking hot...this just proves him right again;)
That settles it. I need some red lipstick.
Good noticing about Mermaid. Who would have thought? Small and simple things . . . and such. :)
Ohhh, I love reading your blog.
Wende-me too, lipgloss girl but I'm branching out a little. It may be the cumulative osmotic effect of all the 20-somethings in my ward.
Tamara-Bless you!
vdg- thanks for joining me here in my random collection of this and that. Mermaid has started trying to put make-up on herself. It uses some fine motor skills and she comes off looking somewhat aboriginal.
Wow. I've been trying to wear lipstick more often (something about having a night job seems to suck the color from my lips), but I haven't branched out in colors. I'm never happy with the colors of lipstick I try. I may have to head over to the mall to test some colors.
Do you get anxious about birthdays? I never have before, but I'm quite in a twist about 30. I'm not where I wanted to be on a few goals that I thought I'd have under wraps before the big 30. This could be a very traumatic July.
Sparkle gave me a lipstick from the massive make-up kit she received from fancygrandma at Christmas. I tested all 8 colors. ;)
About birthdays, I like the verb "twist" to describe the feeling inside. My Hero was feeling that way and I've been feeling that way, too. Ultimately, the dread was unfounded and the birthday was wonderful for him. I think we just decided to celebrate the birthday instead of the age. The phrase "Four years til forty" keeps running through my mind as a motivation for the changes I'll be making between now and then.
We threw a HUGE joint party just to show we weren't afraid of 30. (felt huge, we spent almost $300 on food/decorations which is a lot for cheapskates like us). You've got plenty of lead time to decide how to handle it. Whatever you choose, I'm going to be celebrating your birth. I love you!!!
Post a Comment