Thursday, January 2, 2014

Live Nativity

Maybe you've seen those t-shirt of the Nativity with a speech bubble which says, "It's a girl!"  That's not my personal belief, but 14 years ago our daughter, Alison, portrayed the holy infant.  She's got range.  Karina, our oldest child, was a shepherdess.  



Bethlehem was created by a professional scenic designer and onlookers stopped on the city streets to peer through glass at the scene.  Half the time, they saw an empty manger and no Mary because public breastfeeding wasn't quite the rage in 1999 that it is today, so we hit the semi-private stairwell for hungry time.



 It was a warm and wonderful experience, the highlight of our first Christmas in New York City.  We loved being together, wearing loose comfortable clothing, and focusing on that tiny new family as a family.  The vision was that a live nativity featuring a precious real infant would inspire reflection on the reality of the Savior's birth and life.  When our shift was over, we felt so peaceful that we didn't want to leave.

That ancient experience led directly to an opportunity to create a live nativity at our church in 2013.  While I have no trouble dressing up and holding a baby, I have never created a theatrical anything.  I was really nervous about how it would come together with no professionals, no budget, and me at the helm.  Not a peaceful feeling.

No budget = representational theatre

Some of the willing souls who made this miracle happen.


In the end, it did feel peaceful.  Even though I was making it up as I went along, even though we only had two wise men, even though little boys were running through the halls screaming about mistletoe...I did want it to go on and others seemed to feel it, too.  Contemplating this clutch of willing players, I knew for certain that Heavenly Father is just as mindful of me and my family, and you and your family, as He ever was of the holy family.  

That made my Christmas merry.








No comments: