Even though you read several blog posts about chilling out for Christmas, you were a Crankypants all season (except for a handful of choice moments...that almost all happened at church). This is unacceptable. Here are a few ideas to consider that will put the sparkle in your smile next year.
| It looks like this |
Best. Gift. Forever. Meditate on that a little every day...all year long, even.
2. Plan on it. Christmas happens every year. It's not a surprise.
3. Pick 2-4 traditions you can commit to. Adjust any tradition that adds more pressure than joy.
4. Find out what the kids wish for around Halloween.
5. Finish shopping by Thanksgiving (or some reasonable deadline). Remember the year you did that?
Remember how it was the best Christmas ever because you knew you were ready? Remember how
you could focus on the Savior and serving others? Remember how much you enjoyed every
concert, party, and all those quiet evenings peacefully watching a Youtube fire crackle because you
knew you were ready? Do that again. It does help to coordinate with a friend and have dinner out together as
a reward for your noble efforts.
6. Be clear and direct about any expectations or support you would like from your husband. He loves
you. He desires your happiness. He cannot read your mind (which is a good thing because sometimes you
want to keep your thoughts to yourself, right?).
7. Get a grip! Christmas is not out to crush you. Take responsibility for your attitude.
8. Create a Pinterest board for items you would actually like to receive for Christmas. Seriously, not
even your beloved soul-mate could guess some of the odd things you wish for. Rumor has it, the
kids would love some hints as well. I know it's not your style. Just consider it.
9. Grace for you! Grace for everyone! See item 1.
P.S. In the future, avoid planning and executing an international move during the holidays.
Special times need space.
3 comments:
I wish I had a clever comment. What I do have is a loud AMEN and THANK YOU as I was a Crankypants this Christmas. And it wasn't until three days before Christmas when my shopping and the other work projects I had let slide into Christmas were finished that I was able to enjoy the season. And by that time my kids, my husband, and me, had missed out on many happy moments due to aforesaid crankypants. May we both access and reflect his Grace this year.
I loved this post! That was me most of the season. I love #2. Plan for it. It's not a surprise. I know it, but it's a little like dinner every night around here when I think, "Seriously!? Again?"
I'm going to have to revisit your list next Halloween and try to adopt that attitude early on. :) Thanks!
I had a hard time keeping track of the real meaning of christmas and I don't even have any kids. For me, I need to just stop doing so much. I think we may have a giftless christmas next year. It would be neat to just try and focus on giving service over the holidays one year and see what is different.
Post a Comment